Yehliu Geopark (Taiwan)
While most tourists spend their time exploring Taiwan’s capital, Taipei – my friends and I opted to visit one of the country’s prime geopark in its northern part. The Yehliu Geopark serves as abode to various natural rock formations. Found in the seaside town of Wanli, Yehliu is slowly becoming an attraction drawer to both local and foreign visitors.
The different geological forms are such beauties to behold. Each of which have been given names signifying certain profiles and characters. The most iconic of which is the Queen’s head (that to me looks like Queen Nefertiti’s). My personal favorites are the “Mushroom Rocks”. It is really beyond amazing how nature crafts its art pieces, making this side of Taiwan ethereal in its landscape (and even seascape).
Things to Remember when Visiting Yehliu Geopark:
- Wear clothes that can provide enough warmth since it can be really cold.
- At the same time, put on some sun block in case you are visiting mid-day of afternoon since you’ll be exposed to the sun.
- Entrance fee is NT$ 80.
- Do not touch any of the rock formations and always stay behind the red-painted boundary lines.
- Be cautious since the stones and wooden walkways can be slippery.
How to Reach Yehliu Geopark: (from Yehliu’s website)
- From Taipei West Bus Station – Terminal A (located at Taipei Main Station), go to the KuoKuang window and purchase a ticket for NT$96 to Yehliu Geopark. The journey takes around 90 minutes, and the bus will drop you on the main road just outside the park entrance. Walk down the lane on the left side to enter. (This is what we did. It was a very convenient ride actually).
- By Shuttle Bus: Ride a shuttle bus from Ximen to Yehliu, followed by the Ying Yang Sea, 13-Layer Remains, Golden Waterfall, and Shifen Old Street leaving at 9AM and returning at 17:45.
- By North Coast Shuttle Bus (from Tamsui, Danshui, or Keelung: Take the North Coast Bus NT$200 all day unlimited rides from either MRT Tamsui Station or Keelung Railway Station.
Special shout out to my 3 awesome friends who made this trip puuuurfect. Will miss hanging out with you Clarow, Blad and Yana!
Don’t be a wasted soul, be ‘juan’derlust. Take it easy ebri’juan’…